Saturday, December 8, 2007

The hills were alive with the sound of my heavy breathing


After a week of rain kept us on the flat roads of Hickam, I suggested an optional Saturday ride to include the climbs at Camp Smith and Aiea Heights. Not sure what I was thinking. I rode my old faithful Bianchi complete with fenders. I figured we would be getting wet. The weather turned out to be beautiful making me wish I would have ridden the much lighter Cube especially on the steep section of Aeia Heights. My original plan also included a climb of royal summit but few objected to the suggestion of doing the flat Ford Island to scope out a potential crit course.


While riding around Ford Island I took the opportunity to snap a quick picture of the battle ship Missouri which sits as a museum just off the Island. A base cop saw me snap the picture and stopped me. Apparently they are very particular of where you take pictures of Pearl Harbor. He was very nice about it as he asked to review my pictures. I was a little concerned that he would have to look at each of the over 300 pics I currently have stored on the camera. Luckily he just scrolled through the first couple of Pics and said they were fine.


On the way back to Hickam we went past the Healing Field. The Healing Field is a next to the Arizona monument where the American Legion placed and American Flag for every one lost during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. We stopped for pictures before heading back to Hickam via Pearl Harbor.


















1 comment:

Ben's Journey said...

I think the heavy breathing you heard was from me! You were hammering up that hill!