Sunday, May 4, 2008

Northshore Hammer Fest




I finally had a weekend where I could have a long Saturday ride so I headed up to Schofield Barracks to do the HACC North Shore ride. John had originally planned on riding up Pupekea instead of going out to Dillingham then doing 3 pineapple hill climbs. Some of the other guys who were doing Tri training wanted to go to Dillingham then up to Turtle Bay. I didn' t have a preference so I suggested that we do Dillingham then Pupekea which would stretch the ride out to about 65 miles. One of my German riding buddies used to say, "If you don't ride 100 K, you might as well stay home. "
I couldn't believe how light it was when I left the house at 0545. I was a beautiful morning but a little chilly "68 degrees" when we started. I took it easy climbing Kole Kole but decided to give it all I had heading out to Dillingham. I wanted to see if I could do a breakaway and make it to the beach park before everyone else. When we turned on to Snake Road, I picked it up to about 27 and made my break. I was able to make keep the gap. After a short rest at the "most picturesk Beach Park in Hawaii" We headed towards Pupekea. One the way, we saw Bryant sitting on at the Church. We thought he was waiting for Mary Ann so we just waved and road by. Come to find out, He had blown his tire out and needed help. Sorry about that Bryant.
I tried my damnest to keep up with John going up Pupekea and was able to hang on through the switchbacks but He stood up and gunned it and I fell back. I was able to keep him in sight but could never close the gap. I thought I would do better on Pineapple but my muscles were not recovered from the hard efforts out to Dillingham and Pupekea.
After the ride I met Chris and Courtney at the Outlet Mall. I forgot to bring any clothes to change into so I was shopping in my HACC kit to include the socks and my birkenstock sandals. I don't think Courtney was too happy walking around the Mall with me but she didn't seem to mind me using my credit card.

1 comment:

Marianne and Bryant said...

No worries buddy. Marianne lent me a tube then I babied it home because the tire was ripped so bad. That's what I get for riding that cheap tire AND forgetting my repair stuff.