Thursday, May 22, 2008

Crash



My riding luck hasn't been going too well. Saturday I suffered a major mechanical which disrupted my weekend riding. I was really looking forward to a good Tuesday ride. I managed to leave the office pretty early so I could start with the group. We had a record 26 riders. Ben and Casey took off during the housing warm-up. I stayed back with the peleton until Scott passed me and picked up the pace to about 26. A couple of the new guys also came around so I picked up the pace to stay with them. We slowed as we rode through the traffic circle then we picked it up to try to catch Ben and Casey. Unfortunately I forgot about the big bump in the road and I hit it square on making me lose control. The next thing I knewI was sliding across the pavement. My head hit the curb but luckily the helmet absorbed the impact. It felt like my head was hitting a pillow. I slowly got up and felt around for the typical injuries: broken collar bone, bleeding, concussion. Everything checked out except my shoulder was a little sore. I check the bike which surprisingly suffered very little damage except for the rear dérailleur cable stretching which I didn't notice until I started to ride. I got back on the bike and proceeded with the ride. Everything seemed fine until I tried to lift my left arm to signal a turn. I felt a sharp shooting pain and wasn't able to lift the arm. I went back to work and called Chris. She told me she was coming to take me to the ER. 3 hours later I found out that I strained my rotator cuff. Not a real serious injury, just a painful one. Luckily I should be able to ride in the 40 K TT. My Helmet didn't make out so well. Hopefully Rudy Project will be sympathetic and send me a new one.

1 comment:

Chief Master Sergeant Devery R. Andrews said...

Glad all is well Steve. Tough bike and rider from where I was sitting. Hopefully your luck will turn around for this weekend's event.
Dev