Monday, May 19, 2008

Bike to Work, Mechanicals and a Computer Virus

I started Friday morning off with a nice bike ride to downtown Honolulu to the Bike to Work rally. Friday was the official Bike to Work day and the Hawaiian Bicycle League held a rally to kick it off. There were about 10 of us from the base that rode down Nimitz with rush hour traffic for a free cup of coffee and to meet with other riders from accross the island. Lt Governor "Duke" Aiona (green shirt below) rode his vintage "old" fuji from Makakilo to the ralley and spoke to the crowd. He took time to talk to alot of us and took a picture with the HACC.


I finished the workday off Friday with a round of golf at the Par 3. I putted pretty well but could not get any good shots off the tee.
Saturday morning I woke early and headed to Schofield for the north shore ride. I was really looking forward to a nice ride with some hard efforts to prepare for next weeks State TT. We were just starting to climb Koli Koli pass when I shifted into the small ring. Some how I threw the chain off and the torque pulled my derailleur hanger off the frame ending my ride prematurely. Luckily we weren't far from the car and Jon L who wasn't planning a hard ride to save his legs for Sunday's tri rode back got his Exterraand gave me a ride back to the jeep. I spent the better part of the morning cannibalizing old parts and was able to get the bike back running with out spending any money. I still need to tap out a some threads for one screw but I think I will be ok for Sunday's TT.
Saturday evening we picked up a virus on the computer. I tried to download a spyware program but found out it did more harm than good. Luckily with patients I was able to get the computer back up on Sunday.

No comments: