Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beauty in our own backyard


Living in paradise gives us the opportunity to take pictures of many different beautiful areas all over the Island. However we often over look the great beauty that exists on Hickam. We have always taken sunset pics at Sunset Beach on the North Shore. After living on Hickam for almost 1.5 years we discovered that the oceanfront next to the Fort Kamehameha Housing makes an excellent setting for taking pictures of the sunset. Fort Kamehameha Historic Housing is a section of base housing on the south end of the base that was there before WWII. They recently moved all the families out because the structures were getting pretty old and required significant upgrades to meet the Housing Standards. It is a shame because although they were substandard, they had Million Dollar views of the ocean and are the only houses on Hickam that actually sit next to the Pacific Ocean. Chris and the girls headed out about 5 pm and I rode my bike out to meet them after work. We took a bunch of pics of the beach, Ginger and the sunset. We were even treated to a helicopter fly by.

Last April we moved into a brand new house on base. The house is great, plenty of room, a garage, all new appliances. The only problem is the location. From our lanai you can see the AAFES warehouse, the federal detention center and the base recycling center. We are also next to the Airport so you can see and hear planes taking off and landing 24/7. The only reminder of the fact that we are in Hawaii is the one lone palm tree sitting between two telephone poles. Sometimes I like to sit on the lanai with a beer and a cigar and relax while watching my lone palm tree sway in the wind.

2 comments:

Marci said...

After looking at these pictures I am ready to jump in a plane and visit. They put my pool to shame. Thanks for visiting my blog-I think I will need you to come take care of the pool...I promised Joel I would do all the work for the pool if we bought this house. I think he spent 5 hours or so just removing leaves from it in the fall(we only had it opened a few weeks total)-I was planning on getting around to it.

Unknown said...

Hey, I came across your blog via google images...the picture of the Historic Housing? I used to live there! My family was one of the two Army families living there in early 2000. I miss living in on the water! Anyways, thanks for taking a great picture!