Monday, January 19, 2009

1st Race, 1st Win




This morning Momentum sponsored the first of 4 crit races at the Marine base. I was looking forward to this race because I knew I had been riding pretty strong and I wanted to see how I would do. We had a great turnout from the HACC and there were 37 total racers in the senior category. Bryant, John, and I talked about the race during the ride Saturday and we decided we would try to stay up front and keep the pace hard from the start to hopefully narrow the pack. The first lap was neutral. The three of us managed to stay in front so we could take off hard right at the start of the second lap. Bryant took off and I stayed on his wheel. John would then come around. We managed to stay up front and control the pace for most of the race. If the three of us would fall back, Steve Lindsey and Jon Lorian would whip around and take a strong pull. I heard some of the riders talking about how the couldn't believe how many HACCers were riding up the front.

I was able to stay in the front 4 or 5 riders and each time someone would try to take a sprint, I would pick up the pace and catch their wheel. I kept watching my heart rate so that I wouldn't burn out the wick before the end of the race. There was a couple of times when I chased a few breaks down that I was afraid I had overdone it. Luckily, that wasn't the case. With about 4 laps left, Spence, the captain of the Armed Forces Triathalon team took off. I worked so hard to catch his wheel that I was again afraid I may have over done it and wasn't going to have enough to finish strong. Luckily, when I caught his wheel he slowed enough that I could catch my breath a little. With 2 laps left, Jon and Steve both took strong pulls which were perfect as I was able to catch their wheels and stay out front. I think there were two riders ahead of me as we rounded the curve at the end of the back stretch. I amped it up a bit into the end of the curve then started my sprint. I almost lost it as my wheel started to slide but I caught traction and put the hammer down. I crossed the line a couple of bike lengths ahead throwing my arms up in a Tour De France style finish.

The rest of the HACC did very well. Bryant finished 5th in our race. John Girmsey finished 3rd in the Master's category . Kelly did exceptionally well finishing first in the women's category and 4th overall in the public race. Ed finished third in the public race as well. We were complemented for our great turn out. I know I wouldn't have done as well without the hard pulls by Bryant, John, Jon, and Steve. Too bad I will miss the next race which will be in February, due to my TDY. When we race in March, I am going to race in the Expert category which may be tough since I have a 3 week TDY and 1 1/2 week vacation between now and then.

1 comment:

Strap said...

well done, you and bryant threw down a wicked pace...glad i could be of some help.