Monday, February 18, 2008

Watchen Whales




Chris made me promise her that I would take her to see whales before I went to ride Haleakila. Our origanal plan was to do the Super Ferry trip to Maui from MWR. Unfortunately, the trip was quite expensive and the Superferry's debut has been pretty sketchy with several cancellations. I decided to give one of the whale excursions on Oahu a shot so I booked an afternoon cruise for President's day. The trip guaranteed you would see whales or they would provide a free cruise. I guess they figured most of the guest would be tourist so they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the free cruise. Living on the Island, I figured we would be OK, but I had my fingers crossed that we would see some so I could head to Maui to ride Haleakala 20 March. We headed out towards Diamond head. Courtney and I walked to the front of the boat. The Captain said to look straight ahead for some activity. Courtney caught a glimpse but I didn't see anything. I thought o well I guessed I missed it. Earlier I tried to take a picture of Waikiki but I forgot my memory card in the computer. Luckily Stephanie brought her camera or I would have been in the dog house yet again. We kept heading towards Diamond Head. All of a sudden I saw a splash. We got a little closer.


There was a whale calf that was putting on a show. It breached the water several times. It even made a beeline towards the boat runing right next to it. That allowed Steph to get a good picture. Finally the momma whale came up and carroled the calf out away from the boat.


We followed for a while then headed back out to Diamond head. We spotted several more whales yet non as spectatular as the little calf. We really enjoyed the trip.

No comments: