Sunday, February 24, 2008

Makaha Time Trial Result: No Time





Today I competed in my first Road Race on US soil. The Race was a time trial which started on the southwestern corner of Oahu. I have never been a strong Time Trialist because I either start out too hard and bonk before the finish or I conserve too much. Plus I have never really trained for a time trial. This year I was going to try to do better. I have been doing some longer intervals and have pretty much figured out what I can keep my heart rate at to maximize my speed through out the 20-30 race. I also have been trying to keep my self hydrated through out the weekend so that I would be primed for the race. Last night I went to bed around 11 pm and fell right to sleep. Unfortunately my prehydration backfired as I woke up 6 times to go pee negating any decent sleep. I woke up around 0515 to get ready. I had a little time so I ate a nice bowl of oatmeal. I should have checked my email because Ben sent me a message telling me to bring a skewer ( the part that holds your front wheel in place. ) Ben and Casey arrived at 0600 and we loaded up the car and headed out. Ben loaned me one of his racing wheel sets so he told me to leave my front wheel at home. After a 45 min drive through some area's of the Island that you won't find on a tourist brochure. We unloaded the car. Ben asked me if I read his email and brought a skewer. Casey had one for a rear wheel but it was too long. Luckily, Ben knew everyone at the race so he was able to find one from a friend. Crisis diverted. I brought my old and new jersey figuring I would wear the old one if it was raining and the new one if it was dry. It was dry so I put on the new one. After our warm up we looked to the west and watched as a dark wall of clouds headed our way. I hoped that it would not hit until after the start but that wasn't the case. Just as I took off the rain dumped on us. The first 4 miles were in a strong down pour. I didn't realize the wind changed directions when the rain hit. When we drove in, the wind was coming from the east so we would have a head wind at the start and a tail wind on the return. The ideal. Heading out, I started at 28 mph feeling pretty good. I kept the rider who started before me in my sights and was slowing gaining. I was well above my target heart rate and was starting to taste my oatmeal again. about 3/4s of the way into the first leg I heard a familiar voice as Casey flew by me. I knew he was faster than me, just didn't realize how much. I kept him in sight until the turn around then he was out of sight. I kept gaining on my target and caught him and passed him on the first climb. Unfortunately he caught back up with me on the next climb but i was able to pull away before the finish. I forgot to look at my clock so I couldn't wait until they posted my time. I was quite disappointed when I didn't see a time next to my name and hoped they would straighten it out by the time the announced the finishers. I knew I wouldn't make the podium but I wanted to know where I stood. As they went through the classes, they mentioned that some of the riders didn't get their times captured. Unfortunately I was one of those riders. Luckily they agreed to repay our entry fees and I have another chance to race next weekend. All and all I feel pretty good about my ride but know I need to improve my strength if am going to be competitive. Casey and John both won their categories and Ben placed second.



After I got home, I watched the Tour of California's final stage. They also were riding in strong rains. The finish was great. One of my favorite riders: George Hincapie pulled out the stage victory and Levi Liepheimer won the overall race.


Afterwards I talked Chris into going to Momentum Multisport the new HACC sponsor shop. The shop was great. The workers were super friendly and helpful. I made the mistake of checking out their bikes and fell in love with a 2007 Fuji RC team http://www.fujibikes.com/2007/bikes.asp?id=266&subcat=# they had marked down from $3800 to $2500. I was so cold from the race that I put jeans on with my Birkenstocks. They insisted that I take the bike for a spin. Even with the lack of proper cycling clothes, the bike rode like a dream. I even managed to out run a dog up a short steep climb. Now I just have to figure out how to convince the wife and come up with the money to get the bike. I teased Ben yesterday that I could still blame my equipment for my lack of performance. If I got that bike, I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

No comments: