Tuesday, March 4, 2008

119 miles, 19 mph avg speed, 6 1/2 hrs riding time, Not bad for a 41 yr old








A few years ago, I started the tradition of taking my birthday off and spending the day riding. One year I rode from Ramstein Germany to the French Border, another year I rode every bike path in Omaha for a 75 mile ride. This year, I decided I wanted to try to ride a loop around Oahu. My past rides had been solo as it is hard to find folks willing taking vacation time to spend the day riding in Omaha or Germany in early March. This year I invited anyone who was interested from the HACC to join me. Steve Lindsey and John Girmsey were ready from the get to. Jim Philips was interested but not sure if he would be ready for the long ride but he decided to give it a try. Scott Kimsey had his flying schedule changes the last minute and was able to join us.






We met at the Shoppette and hit the road at 0700. We had the pleasure of passing cars who were tied to the morning gridlock. We made pretty good time from Hickam to Honolulu until Jim got the first of the 4 flats. We changed his tire, Indy style and were back on the road. We spun through Waikiki and headed to Hawaii Kai. We took a detour to avoid traffic and take in some more scenery then Steve had the second flat.







We road up by Hanauma bay through Kailua where we decided to stop for a cup of coffee. We enjoyed the beautiful scenery on Kam Hawaii where John got the third flat and me the forth and final. Wen, from Momentum Multi-Sport, our new team sponsor, caught up with us in Kanohea and road the rest of the route with us. We managed to avoid any more flats but Scott broke his chain on Kania road. Luckily we were able to fix it and make it back to Hickam.




No injuries, only minor machanicals, all and all my best birthday ride yet.





After I got home, I opened my presents. Chris got me a hawaian dirt shirt I have been wanting since I moved here. She also got me a cool biking t-shirt and a poster from the 2004 Tour. The last tour, I was able to got to before we left Europe. We went to the gym then to JR Rockers for Supper where Ben and Casey joined us. It was a great Birthday.

1 comment:

fkpotts said...

Great job Steve, you have much to be proud of...the nickname Man of Steele certainly fits you to a tee...and to think I use to at least hang in there with you 15 years ago...Fred